The park is named after Harold Gathorn Hardy who died in 1881 at the age of 32. Harold helped establish the family run Low Moor Ironworks. In 1899 a recreation ground was added to the park, while in the early 20th century Low Moor Gala was held raising money for local hospitals. In 1931 Horsfall playing fields were added to the park, in 2014 these became a Queen Elizabeth II Playing fields and also contains Horsefall Stadium.
HAROLD MONUMENT A granite obelisk incorporating a drinking fountain was erected on the main walkway as a memorial to Harold Gathorne Hardy.
BOER WAR MEMORIAL A second memorial was erected in 1902. This is a monumental sundial, funded by subscription in memory of the late Lieut. Frank W Milligan, of Royds Hall, a noted cricketer. While on service with the Forces in South Africa he was killed in the attempt to relieve Mafeking on 31st March 1900. The memorial was unveiled by Lord Hawke. It originally stood near the Cemetery Road entrance gates but currently stands in the memorial garden near Park Road.
In the south of the park is a near rectangular dam lake with an area of about 7 acres (2.8 hectares). The lake has a perimeter footpath and in the north an island wildlife refuge. The lake banks are walled and the lake depth varies from 3 feet (1 m) at the edge to a maximum of 20 feet (6.1 m) and the lake bottom is of stone. The lake is thought to have been a disused quarry, later used as a Victorian boating lake. The main lake is stocked with bream, carp, perch, roach, and tench and fishing permits can be purchased. Many species of wildlife make their home in the park including swans, ducks and geese. A further small dam lake of over 0.6 acres known as Jug Dam is situated in the north of the park.